Prepared with coconut and freshly roasted spices, Chicken Chettinad Curry is well known in Tamil Nadu for its fiery taste. It is best enjoyed with basmati rice, roti, naan or parotta.Chicken Chettinad Curry
- Chicken- ½ kg
- Turmeric pwd- ¼ tsp
- Red chilly pwd- ½ tsp
- Lemon juice- ¼ tsp
- Salt to taste
To dry roast:
- Red chilly- 1or2
- Coriander seeds- 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds-1 tsp
- Fennel seeds-1 tsp
- Pepper corns- ½ tsp
- Grated coconut-2 tbsp
- Cardamom- 1
- Chana dal-1 tsp
- Star anise-1
- Cashewnuts-5 to 6
To make gravy:
- Oil- 2 tbsp
- Bayleaf- 1
- Red chilly-2
- Onions chopped- 1 cup
- Ginger garlic paste-1 tbsp
- Sliced tomato- 1 cup
- Mint and coriander leaves- ½ cup
- Red chilly pwd - ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Wash and chop the chicken to bite sized pieces.
- Prepare a marinade with turmeric powder, salt, red chili powder and lemon juice.
- Mix well and add the chicken pieces.
- Coat the chicken with masala paste prepared above and allow to marinate for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile dry roast the red chilly, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, black peppercorns, grated coconut, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, chana dal, star anise and cashewnuts.
- Allow to cool and grind it in a blender with little water to coarse paste.
- Heat oil in a frypan.
- Add the bay leaves and saute for a minute.
- Add red chilly and onions.
- Saute till transculent.
- Add ginger garlic paste and toss.
- Add the sliced tomatoes, mint and coriander leaves.
- Stir well till oil separates.
- Now add the marinated chicken pieces.
- Combine well with the masala in high flame for 2 minutes.
- Turn the heat to medium low and add red chilly powder.
- Check for salt.
- Add ¼ cup of water and cook the chicken covered with lid.
- Once the chicken is done, simmer the flame till the gravy reaches the desired consistency.
- Add few drops of fresh lemon juice.
- Turn off flame.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander and curry leaves.
- Authentic delicious Chettinad chicken curry is ready to serve.