Korma gravies are very popular with most people. Korma gravy can be combined with everything from vegetables to paneer to chicken. Here is an innovative recipe of a layered pulao made with korma gravy and rice that has been flavoured with whole garam masalas and saffron.
Relish this dish with any dal of your choice, raita or a fresh green salad consisting of onion, carrot, cucumber, and lemon wedges.
- 400 gm. of Kohinoor Super Basmati Rice
- 600 gm. mutton, chicken or lamb (assorted pieces)
- 1tbsp / 18 gm. Garlic (lasan) paste
- 1 tbsp / 18 gm. Ginger (adrak) paste
- 1 tsp / 2 gm. Red chili powder
- ½ tsp / 2 gm. Cocunut (nariyal) grated
- 1 tbsp / 15 gm. Almonds (blanched & peeled)
- ½ tsp. poppy (khuskhus) seeds
- ½ tsp. Sesame (til) seeds
- 1 tsp / 2 gm. Coriander (dhaniya) seeds
- ½ tsp / 1 gm. Turmeric powder
- ½ cup / 100ml Refined oil
- ¾ cup / 90 gm. Sliced Onions
- ½ cup / 100 gm. Yoghurt (dahi)
- Salt to taste
- Grind the garlic, ginger, red chili powder, coconut, almonds, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, coriander and turmeric to a paste.
- Mix the chicken, lamb or mutton with the ground paste.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan; add onions and sauté till light brown. Add the lamb and mix well. Reduce heat and add yoghurt. Continue to cook until the yoghurt is absorbed and the lamb is brown in colour. Add just enough water so that very little remains when the lamb is almost tender and the oil rises to the surface. Remove the pan from the heat and keep aside.
- Bring 3-1/2 cups water the boil and then add the drained Kohinoor Super Basmati Rice and salt. Stir to mix well. Bring back to the boil; reduce heat, cover and cook until the water is absorbed and the rice is almost done.
- Grease a deep ovenproof pan. Layer the rice and meat, beginning and ending with the rice. Spread a slightly moist cloth on the rice and cover with a tight fitting lid. Put the pan in a preheated oven (170 Degree Celsius) for 10-15 minutes.
- Keep aside for 5-10 minutes and serve hot with any dal of your choice, raita or a fresh green salad consisting of onion, carrot, cucumber, and lemon wedges.